Pesach Shopping in Wellington
We’re told that the kosher store (a delightful windowless room in the shul’s basement) will be selling pesach items on the Sunday before first seder, for two hours. Well - that’s great! Here are my questions so far:
- What will be available?
- What are the prices?
- Will it be mobbed with people?
- Will there be Yehuda matzah? Like, seriously… Yehuda? Because that’s what I need. I don’t want Aviv.
- Will there be any wine? Last time there was no wine.
- Can I come early?
- Is there a chance some items won’t be available?
When I asked these in the shape of a perplexed face I was met with a super polite, kind and cheerful response: It’s going to be so organized, don’t worry at all!
So, I arrive at 12pm on the dot on Sunday, being told at the kiddish announcements the day before to not arrive earlier than 12. It’s mobbed. Should have got there early. Where did all these people come from? Why don’t they help make a minyan?
Good news, they’ve expanded the store outside of their little room, it’s now spread out on tables in the dark garage. There’s four sections:
- The pantry items
- The cold items
- The $1 a box for last year’s matzah section
- The stock from the last two years (marked down).
I should pause now to say how much I love Pesach. Like, I love it all - especially the sight each year of the ketchup with giant lettering: No High Fructose Corn Syrup! And the glee from finding a Philadelphia Cream Cheese with KOSHER FOR PASSOVER actually printed on the box in blue lettering. Jews are so powerful.
The community members and teens who are there to staff the day are so kind and helpful. Running around, and calling each other for help, greeting people, finding boxes to take things home in - it’s heimish to the max, and it’s brilliant.
But it’s also chaos.
There’s no ketchup. No cream cheese. No tomato sauce for your pizza. And no Yehuda matzah.
There is frozen 8oz blocks of cheese at $20 each, expired white wine vinegar at a discount (got one!) and a bottle of cottonseed oil for $75. Yep, that’s right.
There’s one type of chips bag at $14 each. I bought 6.
There’s a giant block of cooking chocolate. Don’t even want to know how much that was.
There’s mini cans of tomato paste for $10.50. Nope.
There’s expired cans of olives. Sold!
There’s mini bottles of prepared horseradish. Derr.
Honestly, it was a balagan. And I forgot to buy a 48 hr candle, sort of hoping I could buy a Jesus candle at the corner store, but realized there are NO JESUS CANDLES ANYWHERE IN THIS COUNTRY. But, despite the craziness, the community is so warm. I’ve been texting the shop lady daily about where on earth to buy this or that, and she is so quick to help and explain.
In some ways, as I stood in a second long line to pay (the first line was checking out items), holding my receipt, which was a scrap piece of paper with a handwritten total of my purchase… I smiled. This is a beautiful community - that just gets it done. Not fancy. But it gets it done. And I’m filled with love for these people and this community.
A teenager takes me through a series of locked gates and box-filled hallways to a room where I can pick up my free shmurah matzah. Sweet - thanks kid.
Note: I left all the prices in this blog post in New Zealand dollars for dramatization (have you met me?), which is valued at a bit less than half of USD. Prices are still whack - but hey, we're in southern hemisphere paradise.
Chag sameach all!
Comments
Post a Comment